News

Published on July 8th, 2013 | by Tim Schofield

Manually Install the Sprint Galaxy S4 MF9 OTA Update

Sprint is now pushing out an official OTA update from MDL to MF9 on the Samsung Galaxy S4. This is still Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, but does include a good amount of changes. The main one giving the user the ability to move apps to their SD card. I have posted a list of changes to this update below. You can also follow the video below to manually install the sprint galaxy S4 MF9 OTA update. The download below is the official update and is the EXACT same as the OTA that will be pushed to your device.

MF9 OTA changes:

• Allow apps to be moved to the SD card in the same limited fashion as the European S4
  • The addition of Samsung Knox
  • Smart Pause toggle in the notification panel
  • A legibility setting for the display
  • Status bar transparency now works with custom wallpapers
  • The addition of a briefing app, and an SPDclient app

How to manually install the Sprint Galaxy S4 MF9 OTA Update (NOTE: Make sure you have at least 50% battery before installing):

MDL to MF9 Update Zip:

DOWNLOAD

Official MF9 OTA Review:

IF you have a custom recovery or can’t install the update since you are rooted, see here:

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to Manually Install the Sprint Galaxy S4 MF9 OTA Update

1. aaron says:

so after the update can we delete the zip file?

2. Rob says:

Do you have any idea why the battery life sucks now

3. oomfoofoo says:

Is this OK to follow if I rooted using CFAuto-Root plus the Hotspot mod? I understand I will lose root, but I have read that CFAutoRoot works with MF9.

4. Felipe13 says:

Anybody having problems connecting to their Airave 2.5 after the update?

5. Neromoto says:

Hello qbking77…
    Great videos! The q I have is that I did the download etc.. But mine had a warning about downloading a custom rom.. I didn’t have the menu choice as you did after download… I proceeded nonetheless… Just android standing there.. Message below him stating “downloading ” and below that “do not turn off target ” upper left in tiny font that this was official that it was in red letters “Odin mode “?
    I let it run for over 3 hours (I have a lot on my phone )… Any ideas or suggestions? I tried it again after viewing your “how to” video again, and again it happened as described above..
    Thank you!
    David

6. Rizwan says:

Anyone else notice bad battery life with this update? Any easy way to reverse update and go back to MDL?

7. Rob Cash says:

Looks like the update fails if you’ve previously applied the hotspot mod.

assert failed: apply_patch_check(“/system/framework/services.odex”, “3f4b6a…
    E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
    (Status 7)

I could restore the original files, but then I’ll lose my free hotspot.

8. TheLungMD says:

Tim, thanks for an easy root of my Sprint GS4 running MF9. Question: Can I use the odexed MDL files to get the native WiFi hotspot for this phone (running MF9)? I don’t want to try the MDL odexed files unless they’re known to work with MF9. Thanks!

9. Felipe13 says:

Anybody seeing

“com.sec.app.MIPErrorNotifier” automatically opening every time they reboot? I see it when I hold down the home button after rebooting. Not a big deal, but just wondering if anybody is also getting the same thing.

• Nova says:

I got that 2 and its due to the update. Sprint will tell you it’s cause your phone is switching from 3G/4G. But I called Samsung and I had to send mine in for repair.

10. DCN8V says:

My phone was rooted but, when I updated to MF9 I lost root! I’d like to reroot my phone, but I’ve noticed other users having issues with the original rooting method. Is it safe to root using the original video, or will there be another video to root using MF9

11. Mike Polinske says:

Thanks for sharing how to install the update. Very helpful and easy.

12. Dave says:

For some reason, this update has disabled my ability to use wifi. I did not use your method, I used the stock sprint system updates to install mf9. Any insight as to why it has disabled wifi?

13. jcorcione says:

Guys??… I am getting some type of Prevention Information warning Saying “the device has detected an application attempting un-permitted actions and has stopped loading to protect your device To Protect your Device it is recommended you reboot” I long press the warning and shows and Application SEAndroid Version 1.0 The wi-fi attempts to turn on and that’s when i get the prevention warning any ideas? Also it comes on when I tap the wi fi icon

14. help me says:

My battery drains super fast. And now takes 4ever to charger. Pls help. How can I undo this update

15. Sue Doname says:

I don’t want the MF9 update. My phone with your root method and your native wifi is running great for my use. Do I just keep ignoring the update notification or is there a way to eliminate the update notification? Sprint Galaxy S4

• Benny says:

I just ignore mine. The old root with native wifi works too well for me to update. I will personally wait until the developers work something out with the MF9 update.

16. Barry says:

This site is dying. He goes weeks between updates and its the middle of summer. No school for him so he must no be interested anymore. There hasn’t been anything informative in a long time.

17. Sam says:

how can i add the MF9 to my already rooted S4??

18. YanksOnTop says:

I did the update and still cant move anything to my sd card.. Not really sure why.

• Benny says:

I dont think the rom you are on now has that option to move the files to SD card. If you want, you can restore it back to factory and then update to MF9 w/o root.

19. ipierce24 says:

I am a big fan of your videos. I had the Team sonic rom and then unrooted my phone now I am trying to do the MF9 update but it is showing me this E:Signature Verification Failed. Please help

20. Jason Todd says:

Having a hard time with this update… there is no KNOX and now my network is only giving my 2-3 bars and giving me a Network error