News

Published on January 18th, 2013 | by Tim Schofield

This video will show you the appropriate method to install the official OTA update Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus! The latest Android version has finally come to the Sprint variant via an OTA update. This is the EXACT same thing as applying the OTA update without the waiting. No need to be rooted either. Any questions, just ask!

You can get PDAnet (Drivers) here:

To install the SDK tools click here:

The Update zip file can be downloaded here:
DOWNLOAD

Command to type into the CMD prompt:

adb sideload c5ea6e959840.update_mysidspr_FH05_to_GA02.zip

Shop Sprint Phones and Plans Now!

Tags: , , , , , ,

51 Responses to How to Manually Install Official Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus

1. I just did this yesterday. Couldnt explain it any easier on how to manually install it. Rockin android 4.2.1 on my nexus……..

2. jeronyoung2002 says:

When can we do this on the sprint s3?

3. Luis Rivera says:

Great video QBKing!!!! As always and great look and feel of your website! !

4. ian says:

I downloaded and installed pdanet, and downloaded and installed SDK. But when I go to open SDK Manager, it doesn’t open. I updated my java but it still won’t work :/

5. Paul Simmons says:

Any time I have needed help with my Nexuses…hmmm or would that be Nexi. Anyway, your advice has always been solid. I’ve been burned before I learned about you. You list every step in the process of what ever your guide is about. Never assuming I know the little details no matter how basic it may be to you. Just wanted to say thank you for your hard work.

6. Tim, can I use this for my S2? thanks

7. Chris Durden says:

I keep getting an error after doing adb sideload that says more than one device and emulator?

8. Jake says:

hey i keep getting an instillation aborted error everytime its trying to install the update. “assert failed apply_patch_check emmc /dev/block/platform/omap/omap”
    something along the lines of that, any tips?

9. GoGayleGo says:

I also e-mailed you…do I need to load PDAnet onto the phone? During the install, it asks me to connect my phone. I’m now not sure where I am in the process.

10. Jonathan says:

Tim, I have clockworkmod Recovery on my phone. There isn’t an option to select applly update from adb. What do I do?

11. GoGayleGo says:

I am stuck at the part around 4 minutes…when I do the volume and power buttons the second time, I don’t get the popup text for Android system recovery…it stays on the screen with the Android with the open stomach with red triangle with exclamation point…

12. GoGayleGo says:

OK, I made it through! Thanks!

13. Ankush says:

can we do this for samsung galaxy s2

14. Jorge Yanez says:

I lost root access. Is there a way to root again?

15. Alex Maxwell says:

I clicked the DOWNLOAD link for the zip file but all it ever does is try to load…I never get anything, what do I do?

16. Alexander Bell says:

Hey QbKing, thanks for sharing all your time.

I tried applying the update, but after sending the sideload completed (successfully), the installation aborted with an assert:

Installation aborted.

Gave a cursory glance at Google, but it seemed like the most popular solution was to completely reflash, which I’d like to avoid if possible. Any ideas on how to get around this?

Currently running what I think is stock 4.1.1, unrooted, with baseband version listed as: L700.05.V.FH05 / L700.FG01

Thanks again!

17. Alex says:

Hi, Tim when I open command window at the end and put all data as it on the video, it shows me “can not read “sideload”: What can be done after that because I’ve installed everything sdk, adb, pda…? Thanks for support.

18. Alex says:

Hi, QbKing when I open command window at the end and put all data as it on the video, it shows me “can not read “sideload”: What can be done after that because I’ve installed everything sdk, adb, pda…? I have Galaxy nexus gsmHSPA+ with android 4.1.1 JRO03C. Thanks for support.

19. Any idea when the Sprint Galaxy S3 will be getting any updates anytime soon??

20. Andre' MindYoBusiness says:

Woo… installed it via my mac… I was so hype that I got it to work.

21. Gerard van Reekum says:

Thanks Tim, looks very doable. Just one question: what is the acutal meaning of your ‘Sprint variant’ requirement? I’m in the Netherlands and have a yakjuwx G-Nex, waiting for the OTA-update. My local carrier is Vodafone, but I bought the device through a web-store and it is simlock-free. If you think your procedure should work on any yakjuwx product, I’m ready to go for it.
    Current Android version: 4.1.1
    Bootloader: PRIMELA03
    Hardware and Board: tuna
    Device: maguro
    Tell me if you want to know more details (I can run Android System Info and/or send you screenshots)

• qbking77 says:

It’s for only devices purchased in the US. That specific variant will not work. Are you sure you arent getting an OTA notification?

22. uon says:

my andoird just broke up…is a andoid icon with a exclamation sign in red..i dont know what to do

23. Mark Atkisson says:

Thanks Tim, but has the official non-manual OTA update rolled out yet, or do I have to do this?

24. halidex says:

I too am getting the “assert failed: apply_patch_check(“EMMC: /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc. 0/by-name/boot :…” error. My baseband is: L700.05 V.FC12/L700.FC12. I’ve run Wug’s Nexus Root Toolkit several times to return my phone to stock. The download file that the toolkit uses either is not actually flashing radio or is flashing a version not kosher with the 4.2.1 update file. Either way, it kinda sucks that this and the OTA has not worked for me. I did find one fix but the video is a bit hard to follow if you are a beginner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0P5FX356yY. QbKing…this is my petition for your skills as a talented “how-to” video maker to update this tutorial or post a new one helping those of us over this hump.

25. xxoonxx says:

error device not found sorry total noob at this im sure i got lost somewhere please help

26. Alex Maxwell says:

How would I root my Sprint Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.1 using the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit? It doesnt have this version?

27. Mark Atkisson says:

would it work with the verizon galaxy nexus?

28. toufic says:

hi, i got he file for 4.2.2 file name : “yakju-jdq39-factory-b2ebb5f3.tat” newly released , can i follow the same steps and get this file insead of the zip to my phone? PS my phone is maguro / yakjuux version factory unlocked canadian. and currently its on 4.1.1. so would it work ? or jus forget about it and wait for the OTA if its gonna come one day ?

29. Pablo Rivera says:

Right when it says Verifying update pckg… It goes to Installation Aborted

30. Jose Molina says:

I’m trying to update to 4.2.1 on my galaxy nexus but its giving rom manager and not the stock one what do i do?

31. Simmy says:

I have a question, very important. Ive tried to root many times. It said everything was successful so I tried to use wifi tether but cant. My version is still 4.1.1. I have a t999 tmobile s3.

32. sam says:

Do you need a PC in order to upgrade to the 4.2 for the galaxy nexus? Can I just download the link to the fone and follow the rest of the steps?

33. Rich Moha says:

hello if anyone can told me how i can update android to last version in ZTE V8110 I can Update my Android because it blocked by CIM Card Company .. am tried all available method on Internet but i don’t know how… your video is same to be like the method i am looking for so if you know how i can do that please tell me it’s my email [email protected] and i will be near from comments here .. thnxs a lot

34. Mash Mashkoor says: