News

Published on May 28th, 2015 | by Tim Schofield

Install Android M Developer Preview on Nexus Devices

This video will show you how to properly install the Android M Developer Preview on your Nexus device. Compatible with Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 9, and Nexus Player. Make SURE you download the correct file that corresponds with your Nexus device. This will wipe data on your device. To return to Lollipop, see the tutorial HERE.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any issues, do this at own risk.

Google USB Drivers: Download
How to setup ADB, fastboot and SDK: https://youtu.be/oaNM-lt_aHw

Install Android M Developer Preview on Nexus Devices:

Android M Factory Image DOWNLOADShttp://developer.android.com/preview/download.html#images

Commands (Change file names with correct device file names):
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-hammerhead-hhz12d.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
(NEXUS 9) fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
fastboot reboot

Tags: , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Install Android M Developer Preview on Nexus Devices

1. Kostas Kayioulis says:

Hi! Does installing it, when I already have an unlocked bootloader delete the internal storage?

2. J Johnston says:

Hey Tim, I think I screwed my device up. I couldn’t get it to work so when I rebooted my device it said my data was corrupted. Now every time the device tries to reboot it just turns itself back off. any ideas on what to do?

3. Justin Hawkins says:

Hey so I missed the vendor step before I rebooted my nexus 9 and now it is stuck on the Google screen before reboot! Even when I try to manually go to the bootloader screen or manually turn it off, it just turns off then goes back to the same Google screen. What can I do?

• qbking77 says:

Just follow the process again adding the vendor step!

• Justin Hawkins says:

It won’t go past the Google screen on startup. I don’t know what to do.

• qbking77 says:

Did you follow all the steps and include the vendor.img?

• Justin Hawkins says:

No, I can’t repeat the process again because my computer doesn’t recognize the device again and the Nexus 9 won’t fully reboot so I can’t pair it to my computer

• qbking77 says:

Press and hold vol up, vol down, and power at same time to manually boot it into the bootloader and then run the fastboot commands again

• Justin Hawkins says:

When I do that the screen turns off and then goes back to the same screen again.

4. ed jon says:

The files in the tutorial do not exist.